Become an Accounting Local Hero
Like it or not much of your business as an accountant is local. On the internet size isnt everything, in fact size can be a distinct disadvantage in many cases. I have noticed recently that the Big 4 accounting firms are not doing terribly well in the organic search results on Google.
For some time now, Google, Bing and Yahoo have mixed the “Local Pages” in with the organic search results when a region or city name is used as one of the keywords searched. All throughout this year Google have stepped up the game by offering “Blended Search Results”.
I noticed the absence of the Big 4 accounting firms completely by accident while I was doing keyword research for a client. I expected there would be stiff competition from all of the Big 4 firms but to my surprise they weren’t anywhere to be found in the first 5 pages of search results.
The firms that were being displayed on the search results were primarily smaller firms whose websites made it very clear that they operate in the town or city searched for.
Here are a few tips to help you take advantage of this;
- Create (or claim) and optimise a google places page for your accounting firm places.google.com Google will send you a verification code by post which usually arrives in a couple of weeks.
- Put a small image of your places map (linked to your goolgle places page) along with your accounting firms name, address and telephone number in the footer on every page of your website.
- Make sure that you are listed in any trusted local web directories / yellow pages sites.
- Ensure that the “Geographic target” for your website is set correctly in Google Webmaster Tools.
- Get reviewed! Google Bing and Yahoo each have review sections associated with places pages. Find the link for adding a review and send it to some of your good clients and ask them to add a good review for your accounting firm.
- Make sure that you select the correct categories on your Google places page
- Use the EXACT same name, address and phone number on your website and Google places page.
- Complete your places page! Take some photos and upload 10 of the best, add video if you can, put in your website address and a compelling description of your accounting firm.
Thats about it at a basic level, doing this wont give instant results but you will see your position improve over a few months.